Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Herschel Walker promotes 2nd knockout sports Endeavour!

Football legend, Herschel Walker, will battle it out with Scott Carson this Saturday on Strikeforce at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California at 10pm.

This will be the second fight for Walker following his victory over Greg Nagy in his last match on Jan 30. Walker, 48, entering the world of MMA fighting, has many eyes raised as his counterparts are predominately half his age.

“I'm in better shape now than I was in my early 20’s playing football,” Walker said on a Monday evening teleconference to promote the fight, “I've been trying to get a lot of players to do some type of MMA training. It would help them out a great deal. Most of the things you do in MMA training is correlated to football.”

However, this doesn’t seem to be a hobby for Walker considering the fact that Martial Arts fighting has been under his belt since a young age. He says, “I've been doing Martial Arts for 33 years. I started in high school with just Tae Kwon Do. I got heavily into it when I was in college. Every fight that I go into I'm going to win. This is not a gimmick for me, this is life.”

Walker seems to be the Michael Jordan of football seeing as to how he’s trying to dominate a variety of sports. However, Walkers reasoning behind it is to stay active because he knows it’ll make him a better player and that is the type of challenge he aspires to give to his counterparts.

Walker is considering ambassadorship for the sport of MMA.

“Being an ambassador doesn't mean that you have to be fighting,” say’s Walker. “I want to be able to talk about this MMA stuff, and at least have the knowledge that I've been in the cage before and I've done it.”

In football, Walker went on to score three 90 Yard Touchdowns in a season while playing for the Philadelphia Eagles. He explains, however, the biggest challenge between the two sports.

Walker states, “In football, if I make a mistake I have a quarterback, a wide receiver or a defensive lineman who can make up for that mistake,” However, “There are not mistakes being made here. You make a mistake and you may be knocked out or you may be hurt.”

Walker see’s the sky as a road block and not a limit to achieving his goals. So what’s to come in future endeavors?  “This is nothing but hard work,” Walker said, “I’ve never turned down a challenge and I wouldn't do it now.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment